When I was writing this I was sitting in bed with a cup of tea looking out at Wellington Harbour after facilitating in beautiful surroundings in rural NZ with groups of amazing rural women. The workshops are about women reaching ther potential, identifying their passion and purpose and developing goals. (First Steps – Agri-Women’s Development Trust)
I reflect on my own journey and the opportunity to attend a similar workshop in Australia over 12 years ago where I was introduced to the concept of abundance mentality and a simple quote from a mentor “We get what we focus on so be careful what you focus on”.
Since taking on this philosophy in my life I have met so many wonderful people and opened my eyes to the opportunities in front of me. As my facilitation and coaching skills have grown I have had the opportunity to share these with others and in turn grow their skills.
How can we become more abundant in our approach to life?
- Focus on abundance – not scarcity
- Appreciate what you have in your life – one easy way to do this is to record 3 things each say you are grateful for each day.
- Surround yourself with positive people with an abundant outlook on life – it can be catching!
- Share – give out. Be generous with your time, gifts and skills. Robyn Henderson refers to this as the “law of reciprocity” what you give out is what you get back . She also highlights the importance of” Giving without expectation”. www.networkingtowin.com.au
- Look for the opportunities in challenging times – what can be learnt or gained?
- Look for the win-win
- Appreciate those around you – acknowledge others
“The world is full of abundance and opportunity, but far too many people come to the fountain of life with a sieve instead of a tank car … a teaspoon instead of a steam shovel. They expect little and as a result get little.” Ben Sweetland.